Friday, January 13, 2012

We Salute You

Yes. It's yet another Mock Newbery blog!

Who I Am

I am Rachael Vilmar, and I have had my professional fingers stuck in the world of children's literature for going on ten years now. First I was the Youth Services Coordinator at the Bartow County Public Library in Georgia, then I was a children's librarian at Atlanta-Fulton Public Library, and for the past five years I've been the Information Services Manager at the Eastern Shore Regional Library in Maryland. One of the best parts of my job is running the Maryland Mock Newbery every January. I'm also on this year's Arbuthnot Committee, and next week I get to attend the Bill Morris Seminar for Book Evaluation (squee!). 

What the Hell I Think I'm Doing

I usually keep my kidlit and Newbery mania to myself around my coworkers, but one year ago I hired a training coordinator who is as much of a lit geek as I am (I'll allow him to introduce himself). Since then, I have often found myself sitting in his office, debating the merits of Criss Cross vs. Princess Academy, graphic novels vs. easy readers, and other thrilling points of literary minutiae. Since this is 2012, we decided to take our ongoing conversation to the internet, where it will be preserved for posterity, or at least until the collapse of industrial society and the onset of inevitable dystopia.

We hope that you, dear readers, will join in the fun. 










No comments:

Post a Comment